Mackley Carriers Ltd was formed in 1976 by three brothers: Alan, Kevin and Michael Mackley. The company’s steady growth has seen it relocate several times to larger premises in the eastern Christchurch area, and in 2004 the company moved into a purpose-built complex in Francella Street, Bromley.
The complex includes offices, a 1200 square metre warehouse, a sealed yard for the company’s fleet of 12 Hiabs, 3 Flat decks, 3 covered trucks, 6 tractors – Total 24 trucks, and a two-bay workshop which enables the fleet to be maintained to the highest standard.
In 2008 the Mackley brothers sold the company to Cleeve Transport, with two of the brothers Kevin and Michael remaining active in the business.
Cleeve Transport was bought by Tracy McAlister from Murray Cleeve in 1978 when it was a Christchurch-based transport provider for Winstone's subsidiary Diamond Industries. When Fletcher Challenge acquired Winstone in 1988, Cleeve Transport became a freight provider for one of it's subsidiaries, Fletcher Steel.
The evolution of Cleeve Transport parallels that of Mackley Carriers. In 2000 Scott McAlister and Kristy McAlister bought Cleeve Transport from their father Tracy McAlister. In 2002 Darin McAlister took an equity stake in the Cleeve Group.
In 2008, Cleeve Transport acquired Mackley Carriers with the vision of providing a more comprehensive range of transport services. As family-owned companies that share the same strengths and values, Cleeve Transport and Mackley Carriers were the perfect fit.
Since 2000, Cleeve Transport has grown from a single operation with four employees to three branches which employ in excess of 50 staff in New Zealand’s two main transport hubs.
Back to top